Auckland-based career coach, Dr Jonathan Moy of Careerology Ltd, has successfully helped shape the careers of hundreds of clients using the Purpose-Driven Career process. This is an effective and logical career design model based on refined assessment tools and techniques.
A specialist in early and mid career issues, Jonathan provides professional personalised assistance to individuals aged 16 to 45 yrs. He is expert in both student career guidance and adult career issues.
Are you confused about your career direction?
↪ Career coaching – When you are at a crossroads in your career and are confused by your options (or can’t see any options), I can mentor and guide you towards greater clarity during this period of change and transition.
↪ Student career advice – I lead students individually through a structured career assessment program that helps them clarify their career goals, explore various options and to plan an initial career path.
Do you need help dealing with job stress?
↪ Career counselling – I can assist you to work through and develop solutions to difficult situations in your current job or workplace. Discussing a work issue or decision through with an objective non-judgmental career counsellor can help you understand the key issues, the impact on your career and relationships, the pros/cons of various options and provide strategies to resolve the issue.
Do you need help looking for a new job?
↪ Job-search optimisation, C.V. development and Interview-skill training with a careers coach can help improve your chances of getting an interview and maximise your interview success. In the modern labour market, finding and building job opportunities has to go beyond agencies and search engines. There are techniques and strategies that a coach can assist you with, such as, how to identify potential employers, market yourself and proactively develop opportunities. Of course, a hard-hitting C.V. is critically important to being noticed when competing against dozens or hundreds of other applicants, and good interview skills will show you at your best.
• As the client, you are always in the driver’s seat making the choices. A career coach is someone who rides beside you guiding your decisions with a box full of maps, travel guides, GPS, and knowledge of the terrain. A good career coach is trained and experienced at focusing on your present life and your future (rarely their past), intently listening and asking questions, helping you to understand where you are, helping you ‘think outside of the box’ and helping you to find out what where you want to go.
• A career coach is knowledgeable about how the human mind works and wise about how the world of work operates. With these tools a career coach connects you with a greater understanding of yourself with a realistic understanding of how you can find greater fulfilment and purpose from particular jobs and occuptions. Some coaches are more knowledgeable about certain occupations and demographics than others, but if you are looking at a possible complete career change, a coach with a broad general knowledge of all industries and occupations is important.
• Career coaching uses career assessments and exercises, focused discussions around specific goals, and open counselling to explore and tackle difficult obstacles or issues.
• Career coaches come a variety of backgrounds and it is best find one associated with the Career Development Association of New Zealand (CDANZ). A CDANZ member has professional requirements and annual registration commitments which ensure that your career coach is up-to-date with current careers research.
(1) The benefit of a career coach is having access to an objective results-oriented person who is non-judgmental, creative and a great listener. They can help you reframe your current life situation and make sense of how to proceed from where you are.
(2) You will gain greater knowledge of your strengths, skills, values, motivators, interests and personality style.
(3) You gain access to specialised career assessments and an expert interpreter of career assessment tools and exercises. You may have seen or even completed many online career tests but not benefited from them because you haven’t been able to apply them to your particular career issue. A career coach will offer you relevant and appropriate assessments and then formally reports to you on these assessments and assists you to interpret the results in a way that you can immediately apply to your career situation.
(4) A career coach gives you a formal process or method of analysing your career requirements and a systematic exploration of career options.
(5) You will gain greater clarity about your career decision and a clearer path about how to achieve your goals.
• Adult clients, in general, attend 2-4 hours split over a few sessions.
• Students, in general, require a 2-hour followed by a 1-hour session to complete a full comprehensive assessment and reporting process.